Living a gluten-free lifestyle has become easier than ever over the last decade, but whether you have gluten sensitivities or just want to diversify the grains in your diet, meal planning is still so important. While prepping homemade Yumm! Bowls® for the week ahead is a great way to have nourishing meals ready to go, there are so many simple and tasty ways to use rice as your naturally gluten-free grain base.
Using Rice for Meal Prepping
Rice is a wonderfully versatile grain that doesn’t have to be bland, especially with our high-quality selection of Café Yumm!® Organic Brown and Thai Hom Mali Jasmine Rice. Using rice for meal prep is the best way to start because it’s super easy to cook a big batch for multiple recipes, it’s affordable, and nutritious.
Jasmine rice, known for its delicate fragrance and light, fluffy texture, has a sweet and nutty aroma with a subtle flavor that’s a mix of floral notes and warm popcorn. You often find it served with Asian cuisine, but it can be used like any other white rice.
Brown rice has a hearty texture due to its remaining outer bran layer. The bran provides brown rice with a higher fiber content that can improve digestion and help you feel fuller for longer. It’s ideal for a variety of recipes from warm salads to baked casseroles, but it can be used for just about any dish.
Tips for Effective Gluten-Free Meal Prep
- Plan Your Meals. Make a list of recipes and set a menu for the week. Create a shopping list and schedule a specific time in the day to start prepping.
- Make It Easy for Yourself. Stick to recipes that are easy to make in large batches. One-bowl lunches are a great option that can give you a satisfying meal with minimal cooking and cleaning.
- Prep Ingredients Ahead. Chop vegetables, marinate proteins, and cook rice in advance to minimize the amount of work left to do when it’s time to eat. Choose ingredients that can be cross-utilized in several recipes to save time and money. This way, you can have ingredients ready to go for quicker dinners or batch cook and easily pack lunches for the week.
- Batch Cooking. Multiply your recipes by the number of meals you wish to make for the week. By cooking multiple servings at once, you will save on ingredient prep and cooking time. To save even more time, you can also freeze extra servings to enjoy later.
- Invest in Quality Containers. Well-organized meal prep can go to waste without the right container to safely preserve the quality of your food. Get containers that are microwave and dishwasher-safe, stackable, and easy to seal. We like to use Pyrex or ceramic bowls instead of plastic.
- Rotate Your Menu. To avoid meal fatigue, rotate your menu regularly. Try different recipes to keep things interesting!
Easy Gluten-Free Meal Substitutes Using Rice
If you are new to gluten-free cooking or just need some inspiration, start by making a list of your favorite meals and then substitute any ingredient containing gluten with rice.
Here are some substitution ideas:
- Instead of pasta, add marinera or pesto to brown rice with your choice of protein, fresh herbs, and a sprinkle of parmesan.
- Add brown rice to the base of a big green salad topped with shaved veggies and nuts instead of croutons.
- Swap out noodles for jasmine rice in soup recipes.
- For breakfast, try a fried egg on top of steamed jasmine rice with kimchi and a drizzle of soy sauce.
- Try a bed of rice instead of bread for fully loaded veggie burgers.
5-Day Menu Ideas for Gluten-Free Meal Prep
Choose two or more ideas from each list below to prepare for the week. Variety is the spice of life, so if time allows, create slight variations with different cheeses, herbs, veggies, or sauces for each day, keeping the base of the recipe the same. This will help you stay excited about the next meal, while simplifying your routine. You can also keep a bottle of Yumm! Sauce® in the fridge as an amazing all-purpose sauce to help reduce some of the guesswork!
Lunch Meal Prep Ideas
Dinner Meal Prep Ideas
- Indian or Thai Curry
- Teriyaki Stir Fry
- Stuffed Peppers
- Mediterranean Mezze Bowl
- Cheesy Rice & Broccoli Casserole
Find Ingredients to Make the Perfect Meal Every Time
Since 1997, Cafe Yumm! has served beautiful, delicious, and nourishing food. You can find our products, like Yumm! Sauce and Jal-Ses® Salsa, in stores all across the West Coast and in our online store with nationwide shipping.
Browse our recipes to discover easy and exciting meal possibilities. Find the perfect ingredients for your ideal lunch bowl with our jasmine or organic brown rice, organic beans, savory sauces, and salsas, all with a tap of your finger. Start your order today and get more Yumm! out of your meal prep.